Friday 27 January 2012

Thought for the Week 29th Jan

The Conversion of Paul.
Light broke in suddenly,
shattering my pride,
expanding my mind
and splintering into shards
my heart.

'Why kick and wound
like a frightened child?
Release yourself to me;
know me, honour me;
I am Jesus, I am God's Word.'

Then I was led,
where once I led;
blindness caused my fall.
My eyes were opened to Light
and the gift of life!

JCH

Paul was born at Tarsus in Cilicia which is now Turkey. He lived around the time of Jesus but never met Him. Paul was first called Saul. As a young man, he was a very bright student of the Hebrew religion.
He hated the Christians. When he grew older he captured, tortured and harassed the followers of Jesus. He was even at the stoning of St. Stephen the martyr.

Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any who belonged to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
 
Now as he was going along and approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?’ He asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ The reply came, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But get up and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.’ The men who were traveling with him stood speechless because they heard the voice but saw no one.  Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; so they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. For three days he was without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

2 comments:

  1. The road to Damscus looks rather crowded in the image !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat comment verification. I wonder how Peter and Paul would have managed their correspondence using Blogs ?

    ReplyDelete